Last week Caleb and I had Spring Break. We stayed right here and honestly, I had no intention of taking a break from the blog, but with the time change and the sleeping in, before I knew it it was Wednesday and I hadn't written a single blog post. At that point I just decided to take a little blog vacation for the week too, and just catch you up this week! I hope you all had a great week, even if you weren't on Spring Break!
I thought I'd start today with the sewing I got finished last week. When I cut out the gray Moss Skirt
(the one that something weird happened to and it came out funny at the waist), I cut it out in a woven cotton pique in white also. Since it's white, I decided to underline it in a white cotton batiste to make it a bit more opaque. (Linings tend to be mostly separate from the main garment, only attached at the top edges and hanging on their own for the most part. Underlinings are used with each piece of the garment, being sewn into the same seams and hemmed as though it were part of the main fabric - almost like a fusible interfacing, but it's not fused, if that makes any sense. Also, I'm trying to define these things without caffeine. Sorry.) I've never done an underlining before but since both the main fabric and the underlining fabric were cotton (and cotton sticks to cotton), it worked pretty easily.
I sewed it very carefully and double checked all of my directions in an effort to avoid whatever happened with the gray Moss Skirt, and the white Moss Skirt
came out perfectly!
I didn't do as much topstitching on this skirt as I had used with the previous two that were a twill fabric, but this one didn't seem to need as much. As soon as we're past Easter, I've got a cute skirt all ready to go!
The next thing I made was a super fast project. These are the Lexi Chick Boxers
from Evie la Luve on Etsy. They are a bias cut boxer short and I decided to make them in flannel. The directions don't call for flannel and flannel probably has a bit too much body (they'd probably be more flattering in a softer, drapier cotton), but they're cute and soft and really comfortable. I'm going to make them again in one of the lighter weight fabrics the pattern actually calls for, but these worked out pretty well and they'll be great to sleep in. The elastic waist band in this pattern is done differently from what I've done before, but I really like. It doesn't use a casing, it kind of gets stitched twice so there's no twisting or elastic weirdness even if you aren't using non-roll elastic.
Finally, I made a pair of Bella Panties
, also from Evie la Luve. These were made in stretch lace from Tailor Made Shoppe (also on Etsy) and I decided to use the Leopard print lace
since I'm not very experienced with lingerie fabrics and trims. I thought the print might hide any issues I had. As it turned out, I didn't have any issues making them, this is a super easy pattern! I did mirror the lace itself, but the leopard print doesn't repeat the way the lace does, so that didn't mirror. These were a fun, fast project that's completely different from what I usually sew. These are my first panties, but they won't be my last!